How Am I Qualified to Talk About This?
I like messing with algorithms that rank content according to arcane criterias. Why? Well, because I am great at this sort of things. So much so that I made it my job. I’m a freelance SEO expert based in Montreal.
Writing With the Intent to Make Your Content Easily Discoverable
Understanding Search Behavior
Any search starts with a desire that’s expressed as a query when the visitor types it in a search bar. So this query comes with an expectation of value. When we search for things online, we expect certain results to show up. Value is measured against internal criteria for acceptance. We favor search results that seem to answer our needs or fulfill our desires. People simultaneously process acceptance and rejection criteria for every result on the SERP (search engine results page).
What is Documentation For a Marketer?
- It’s where your future customers can learn about your services.
- Where customers can go instead of opening a ticket.
- – without them having to sit on hold waiting for a service rep.
What is Search Intent?
“If your pages contain useful information, their content will attract visitors.”Google
Give your customers access to the instant, in-depth information they need and you will be satisfying search intent without having to hire someone like me. Google provides detailed instructions if you want to check them out to know more about how the search engine takes search intent into consideration. The search engine giant even shares internal guidelines for content evaluation.
What Are People Trying to Figure Out About Your Product ?
You can type in Google’s search bar:
- “Your product name” with “how to” -site:yourdomainname.com
- For example, we could search for “serpstat” how to -site:serpstat.com and find everything people want to know how to do with the SEO tool SERPStat outside of the company’s documentation.
Another piece of advice: check Google Analytics and Google Search Console for good insights. We like to go dig in the keyword data that they offer.
Which Keywords And Content Drive the Most Engagement ?
- Popular but vague keywords = high freq/low intent – lots of ambiguity TOFU
- Rare but specific keywords = low freq/high intent – no ambiguity MOFU
- Long tail = specific terms with 3+ words
- One-offs = rare queries or a one time trend
- How-to = tutorial
- Your product + Integration product = Mailchimp and Google Analytics
- Update = tutorials or FAQ pages
Think About Bots the Way They Think About Humans
Search experience optimization all comes down to making the right first impression. Create an immediate perception of the value of your content through titles, metadata and microdata. You can help Google showcase more than a title and a description for your content. Check out rich snippets available for various types of content (FAQ and Tutorials are great types of content to markup).
On-page SEO Best Practices
- Optimizing your meta tags (title and description)
- Creating search engine friendly URLs
- Implementing structured data like FAQ or tutorial
- Adding internal links
- Including optimized media
Address Technical SEO
- Site speed & Mobile-friendliness
- Crawlability and security
- Submit a sitemap.xml to Google Search Console
- HREF LANG for multilingual support
- Deal with duplicate content
- 301 to handle 404 errors
Content Hierarchy Matters
Search engines consider H1, H2 and H3 tags. Make sure you show a pertinent content structure to humans and bots. Our eyes use titles as anchors to navigate content and bots mimic them a bit. Do not skip heading levels and make sure to use the right words. We recommend using the Web Developer Toolbar by Chris Pederick available for Firefox andn Chrome.
Google values internal and external links that point to you. Links are a sign of trust, a bit like your network in LinkedIn. Check Google Search Console to gain insights as to which websites are pointing to you. The same “Links” report also gives you proper information regarding your internal linking. Depending on your website design and your content guidelines, your website is bound to favor some pages over others in terms of how many internal links point to them. Promote your content internally with links and you will be optimizing your user experience and search engine bot experience.
Content Opportunities Are Limitless, Even For a Boring Industry
Make sure everything is readable and answers search intent. B.E.R.T. is a technique for natural language processing used by Google. This means that you should write for humans first and foremost since the bot is trying its best to understand content the way humans do.
SEO Tip: Feed the Position Zero With Bullet Points and Lists to Show Up When Someone Says “OK Google”
Points to Get Started
- What questions are users asking? Check Frequently Asked Questions in Google search results.
- What issues are they having most with your product? Check with the help desk, read the chatbot transcripts.
- How does your product compare against other products in the industry?
- What does your product do that your competitors don’t?
- What new features are you adding?
- Are there any features that are underutilized by users?
- Are there any integrations with other tools?
- What’s the history of the product?
- Audit your competition’s SEO and content strategy.
No CTRL+C, CTRL+V
Please do not copy paste your content throughout your knowledge base. Google doesn’t appreciate duplicate content and you may be less visible online if your content is deemed to be a pale copy of another piece of content available online.
Sources I Used Beyond My Own Experience
- How to Optimize Your Knowledge Base for SEO ✅
- SEO Strategies for Knowledge Base Self-Serve Customer Success
- How HelpSite helps you create an SEO-friendly knowledge base
- Help article / Knowledge base SEO consideration | SEO Q&A
- Importance of a Knowledge Center for Your SEO
- Understanding & Optimizing Onsite Search
- How to SEO Optimize Your Knowledge Base (And Why You Need To) 📙